Passa ai contenuti principali

Post

Visualizzazione dei post da Novembre, 2020

Drawing series 'Troubled Anatomies'

  For the series of drawings, I used pen, coloured pencils and watercolour on printed collage photocopy, which I then glued on a cardboard surface.    The technique I used for the drawings was inspired by artist  Özlem Altın ' s process. She initially   modifies found images on Photoshop, which she then prints out to paint directly onto them and create abstract and fluid shapes which reveal fragments of the underlying photocopy.  Ozlem Altin,"The Lovers (Intuition)", 2017. Pigmented inkjet print with ink, lacquer, and oil paint Özlem Altın. “Wheel of Union”, 2017. Paint on printed photocopy This technique inspired me to experiment with painting and drawing directly onto  photocopies of my organ collages, which was useful because it allowed me to experiment with various detailed images without having to re-draw them.  I also tried projecting one of the collages onto a large sheet of paper and I am in the process of finishing this with pen.   The small final drawings of the

Body-book development

Internal structure: Collages and Drawings I painted onto the collage to achieve a more unified effect, the collages don't look as much as separate pieces stuck together now. Interior head piece: I am satisfied with how this piece resulted, the different parts are in harmony although all different shapes and although abstract it gives the idea of a head shape. This was inspired by one of the compositions of the printed collages as well.  watercolour and pen sketches from the collages pen drawing, planning to make a larger version and painting the exterior with black acrylic paint External structure, developing on the opening book/body opening function I made a series of small book structures with cardboard to make quick experiments and see which one was most successful to create the final piece: The first structure I made was an abstract shape book with different opening layers inside. I placed this as already open on the corner of the studio, by pinning the two cardboard pages of t

Book structure ideas

These are some books I looked at on how to create a book structure with different openings inside 'Map ed Veveiis', 1990 artist's book, by Genevieve Seille,  This artist book from  Genevieve Seille  inspired me for the different types of apertures and layers, showing 'books' within a book Whyte's phisiological manequin, 1891 Whyte's phisiological manequin really appealed to me for its many opening strucutures, layers, and the level of detail beneath each layer. Although I didn't use this technique for the final book, I also experimented with "Stab binding"/ "Four hole book binding" (see link:  https://www.ibookbinding.com/bookbinding-styles/japanese-binding/top-10-japanese-stab-binding-tutorials-on-the-internet/ )  to make the cover of my book open, which I found is an elegant and simple book-binding technique.     

Year 3 Term 1: New project on the open body

This term I am going to focus on developing my opening body books (see link: http://micdigitalsketchbook.blogspot.com/2020/06/final-series-of-opening-bodies.html ) into larger pieces and use collage and layers to show an idea of a "troubled" self, also through a "troubled process" of creating.   I will create parts of the body (torso, head) to fragment, open, and see the underlayer, representative of a unity of the social (the exterior) and the introspective (the interior).  First steps: starting the project To start I gathered some materials from different sources: images from an anatomy book, my own drawings/works, materials, paper... to then manipulate, tear apart and collage freely inside bodies at a later stage.  I organised these materials in different topics they seemed to fall into: Hearts/heart shapes  paper materials/ as skin anatomical drawings faces abstract shapes, some flat others with a material quality to them large body representations The pieces

Expanded Painting: Seriality

  During the process of making these paintings, all taken from the same photograph, I realised I preferred the images where the figures were more suggestive and less realistic so I repeated the defacement of the head in the foreground figure in all the pieces, and relied on a more unfinished effect.  I used different colour tonalities and chromatic greys next to colours at full saturation to achieve a pale and misterious effect.