Internal Exposure

 

Internal Exposure. mixed media: wall pieces and sculpture, 2020-2021

Process: working towards the final degree show


Sketch for installation plan showing multiple dimensional aspects. 
The inspiring ideas are the spilling out of the emotions and the deformation of the body




In these sketches and trials I continued experimenting with collage and mostly drawing. I decided to create a collage of intertwined bodies in a way that resembles an intestine. This intends to show a relationship between the part and the whole and the intestine as representative of the residence of our feelings and of interior chaos.

New collage piece

 
Alternative to the previous Intestines works:

-The piece is more sturdy and stable as I glued the separate figures on one large piece of cardboard from which I then cut out the unnecessary spaces.

-The piece also includes a 3d element: I paper-mached a hollow shape made with wire and glued it on top of the torso of one of the figures. I then also experimented with adding string that comes out of this, to further extend the piece in the surrounding space.---I was thinking more about how to exend/project the work into the surrounding space as a way to metaphorically opening up the body in space- and to combine previous sculptural work with the flatness of the collage piece



As in my plan I included strings coming out of the works as a way to extend these in space furhter, I coated long pieces of string with paper mache which made me achieve a thicker and more corporeal effect. I combined these with the collage and sculptural pieces.

 I placed the new piece next to the previous collages I made, which I also arranged differently to convey a more organic display, which I see as all related and part of the same series

Sculpture



Working on a sculpture piece (similar to a jumble of disordered bones arranged together).by combining the previously separate sculptural elements and adding the coated string to it- as if it were a tendril coming out of an orifice. This aims to convey a visceral, bodily and ambiguous quality.

Drawing:


 

Working on a new piece to include in the final presentation: it started as a large drawing made up of two sheets of A1 paper and developed into a cut out similar to the first collages but of a larger scale:
I used watercolour initially, which I manipulated onto the sheet of paper but largely did the composition by spilling and moving by itself. I then wotked onto the watercolour with charcoal, drawing figures I found in the shapes.

 
Making process



Cutting the background


              Vertical display is better because it resembles an intestine more


 

 -working onto the drawing with different materials and dimensions: paper mache, glue, layered papers, cardboard, string, acrylics and pens.
-preparing some elements to glue onto the drawing/collage piece: by creating layers with acrylic, pencil and watercolour onto tracing paper
-Adding more 3d aspects through paper mache and modrock- creating a sort of relief, and adding more textures with cardboard
 

Physical tests in space with all the final pieces: the installation combines the sculpture and wall pieces: placing the work in the corner highlights the broken border between three-dimensional and two-dimensional

Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog

Three-dimensional abstract painting

Expanded Painting: Seriality